"In 1912, Mr R.N. Matthewson, of Swan Park, Alipore, Calcutta, collected his new car from the makers in Lowerstoft, Suffolk. The carwas shaped like a swan and had a Gabriel horn with eight organ pipes and a keyboard which worked off the exhaust system. The swan's beakopened by a lever. A second lever sent half a pint of hot water from the radiator into the swan's nostrils. This was forced out by compressed air, making an authentic swan-like hissing sound.
"Mr Matthewson, well pleased with his swan car, took it back withhim to India, where it was as great a success as it had been on the roads of England. Unfortunately it caused such crowds to gather that the police were forced eventually to ban the swan car from the streets of Calcutta."